Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:25 pm 
Legally Insane YZF Hooligan!

Yay! I finally got it tuned right or pretty damn spot on. I duct tapedtaped over the stock intake and went for a ride. The bike ran great. This told me I needed more gas.

155 mains across the board cleaned things up to almost perfect but i had a very slight flat spot at 7k comming into the mains. I moved my needles to 5th notch from the top and synced.

The power curve is nice and linear. I do get some popping on decal from mid to high rpms. Not sure if a touch lean or just the pipe. There is definitely more power present. Rolling on the throttle anywhere in the upper half of the rpm range in first and second lifts the front wheel. In first it send toward the sky like flipping on a lightswitch. Blowing down the road at 10k on and off the throttle bouncing the front end is interesting. Made the bike much more fun.

¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
Legally Insane YZF Hooligan!

I did tune it today in cool weather at 42*. Which is a plus I should be good all season. It does seem like the bike would love higher revs as it really takes off right as its comming into the rev limiter.

¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

that's good to hear. sounds stronger than mine!

but my bike is a bit higher in the front and lower in the rear that yours. a little anti wheelie

are settings seem pretty similar as well, though you are flowing more air in your box.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

Update

shamefully I hadn't ridden this bike, maybe once, since getting the R1. I put it away normally but that was October 2015 and now is july 2016. welp that was too log I guess gas started to turn carbs got gummy.

so it ran like poop unless in the main jets in the high revs. but last summer it was my intention to go back to stock carbs and airbox, since getting the R1 tweaking every bit of power out of the yzf doesn't really matter to me and they were bit touchy.

so I dusted off the stockers, check the float heights on the bench and they were still true. however developed a leak In one of the fuel cross overs. the plastics parts. ugh huh? so I had to split the rack and stole a part from the 97+ carbs, put back together, installed and syncd, with stock air box. took a bit of tuning as my mixture was off from playing with airboxes last time.

syphoned out the old gas put fresh in and all is well again. welp actually I think the needs should be lowered a clip but I don't think it bothers me enough to mess with. as a reminder I have a dyno jet kit in the stock carbs.

I think I will play around with the plastic bit and try some orings on it and see about fixing it. this is a topic that comes up from time to time. some people say they cant be fixed as you cant buy the oring you need. others try various sealants with mixed results. after popping the body apart its just double orings on each port. I feel like I could find something close enough to seal.

I think this info could be useful to both communities. and its on the bench with another rack of carbs so it easily accessible now.

I don't know if I will play with 97+ carbs again. right now they are apart and needing a fuel cross over. or they might just be parts carbs.

I sure do appreciate the familiarity I have with this bike. its a cake walk to work on and I can really motor through things and its nice to have parts on hand.

unlike my annoying xj, that really isn't that be but is more fidgety and not as well thought out.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408