Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EX500 project
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:44 pm 
Official Evil Monkey

Picked up a 90' EX500 (Ninja) for about $400.

Has a bad intake valve the po did not want to take the time to fix. So I took it off of his hands. This will give me something to mess around with for a while.

I see street fighter potential in it!!

**EDIT** 12/21/07

This will be short and make no sense. I decided to take it back to a stock look.

So I removed the engine from this bike and followed the manual to tare it down. It was a huge PITA to remove the head bolts. I tried two different air compressors, but ended up using a cheater on a ratchet to get them out. I purchased a valve spring compressor off of ebay to change the bent intake valves. This was easy enough to do. I purchased all of my parts through Babbits. Good prices not super quick shipping though.

I ended up stripping one of the oil line bolt holes. A hollow bolt is used to pass oil trough here. So I tired my damnedest to secure it. Though with everything I did, I could not get it to stop leaking oil at the bolt. So I looked around for thread inserts, and found nothing cheap. SO back to eBay, and I find a new cylinder head for $20 bucks! Replaced everything and fire it up!! IT'S ALIVE!!! but sputtering still

The gas tank was one rusty sum'bitch, so i used a 1:1 mix of vinegar, and water to help desolve it. This worked ok, but left some rust. I also replaced the fuel filter with a $3 JC whittny high capacity filter. This really helped with the sputtering at higher RPM.

Plastics were in very bad shape. Many cracks, chips, and shoddy fiberglass repair work done by the PO. I was on a budget with this part, so I spent about $50 on bondo, paint, and clear coat. I sanded the bondo repair and fiberglass repair as bast as I could. Applied the primer, paint and then the top coat. I think it turned out OK. I also used header paint on the exhaust pipe, since it was rusty as well.

I got it all back together last night, and here it is!

Cost list:

EX500 (XBOX360)

Valves, seals, gaskets ($160)

Tools ($75) I sold the valve compressor for $35

cylinder head, oil line ($40)

various Bolts ($40)

Painting supplies ($50)

Decals ($20)

New battery ($65)

Time (5 months off and on)

Click the pic for my lake ride video!

Last edited by MilenkoKC on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:58 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

i was just looking at this thread at the other site. in fact i still have booth tabs open.

anywho i like it, and to me sounds like a fun little project. for me i see commuter. and to be honest ive never been on an ex500 just the 250s. just how strong is it?

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:23 pm 
Official Evil Monkey

I have not ridden it yet. The owner said it was a decent bike for him, and he was 6'1" 240lbs. So I think it will be great for me or the wife if she wishes to ride it. 60HP is what most forums and sites say about it.

I'm going to adjust the valves and sync the carbs and give it a go. If I am lucky that may fix it. Though I think I'll have to change out a valve. I do have the manual on it, so It should only take time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:48 pm 
Undead . Restraint, never had it, never will

the rear suspension , swing arm and wheel from a zx6e will bolt right up with minimal mods. other front ends are also a pretty straightforward mod. this gives you a very smooth and sweet handling bike but even with pipe and motorwork its no powerhouse. they were very popular as racebikes in several lightweight classes prior to the sv650.

60 hp is a bit of a stretch with just a pipe and jetkit....

"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog! And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" My Hero.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:06 pm 
Official Evil Monkey

I put this thing back together and started it. That Twin motor is um.. different sounding. I really did not hear any nasty noises coming from the engine, but it has some power issues for sure. 3rd gear and it starts to sputter, but of course the tach is not working so I have no idea what RPM it's doing it at.

It will be super fun to tear out the motor and rip it apart. I guess if I F up too bad, it will be a parts bike. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:15 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

I bought a 96 for my wife and it is a great all around bike. Perfect for her to learn on, but it is still a kick in the pants for me too ride. I made a custom sissy bar so I could take the kids ridding, and the twin is tourqey enough to do fine with them on the back. Even stock the suspension is pretty good, the bike is light, easy to flick around, and no problem dragging your knee. I have a friend with a new 636. We traded bikes through some twistys at the end he wouldn't give it back. I's not a rocket like my YZF, but still a lot of fun. I had it repainted, and put a good exhaust on it, new chain, and sprokets. When you finish it you'll have a lot of fun, but it won't take the place of your YZF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:00 pm 
Official Evil Monkey

Updates soon on this if anyone cares lol.

Just need to finish painting it. I decided to back to a stock look and sell it.

WHat a PITA!!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

hey i care. the more pictures the better!

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am 
Official Evil Monkey

Edit on first post. :D

Post subject: Re: EX500 project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:46 am 
Official Evil Monkey

Ended up selling this bike to a chick in AR last Sunday. I made about $150 after purchase, and cost of the rebuild. I might make this a little side thing with fixing bikes up and reselling.