Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Project FZR6R (UK)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:59 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Hello Peeps.

I keep lurkin around here and not really postin much so as you now have a bike build forum I thought I would post my VERY :roll: slow going Street Fighter Project.

I have a European OldSkool YZF known for about 2 years only here as the FZR600R (FoxEye).

Decided to Streetfighter it as I ended up fishtailing off a roundabout strewn with diesel one winter day thus scraping all the plastics and foot pegs etc.
Had a run in with a car at a junction so the forks were bent too. Rear shock is shot too.

So far I have accumilated the following parts.

- Complete R6 Brake System
- R6 Swinarm / Shock complete. No idea if it will fit BUT where there is a will there is a way. :cry:
- Dyno Jet Kit
- New front end.
- New disks
- New wiring loom as mine has been hacked about a bit to remove an alarm system that went faulty plus various accident fixes.
- Got my eye on R6 clocks and Tail unit.
- Gonna attempt a homemade underseat exhaust.
- Flat drag bars.
- Larger rear section tyre if I can get that swingarm to fit.

Will post a few picks soon. Just need to sort them out from all my Land Rover ones.

But in the mean time this is my excuse for not doing much yet.

Been restoring this baby to some sort of road worthy condition for about 2 years now.

Land Rover Air Portable (Lightweight) With a 3.5l V8 shoe horned in.

Last edited by FizzerJE on Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Looking forward to the build! I've got a buddy on customfighters.com with a thread on how he fitted an r6 singarm and shock to his fzr 600... not much diference. Give me a day or so and I'lll find the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:02 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

That would be great if you could.

I have read a few posts on diffrent forums. Some have problems with sproket alignment.

The more threads and info I collect the easier it should be.

Post subject: Re: Project FZR6R (UK)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am 
where's that ban button...... :lol: :lol: :roll:

Looks like it will be a cool build! Make sure and get a before pic, its always nice to see the transformation.

I noticed your putting on Drag Bars; I've got an idea if you don't mind listening.... The early FZS600's, Fazers, share a lot of the same parts as the thundercat. The forks on both are 41mm, but the Fazer doesn't have clipons, it has bars. From what I've looked up the lower tripples are similiar, so that makes me wonder if the Fazer upper tripple could be used on a Thundercat? So you'd have an upper tripple that was actually designed for bars and not have to drill our thundercat tripple. I'd try it myself, but we never got Fazers in the US, and I havn't seen a good enought deal yet to justify shipping. Maybe you could find one locally for cheap and give it a try, or go to a bike breaker and see if they're the same?

Anyway just a thought, sorry for being long winded. Good luck with your build I'm looking forward to updates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:50 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

Thanks diztroy, I will keep an eye out for some on FleaBay.
My ex had a fazer, I could have got her to measure them BUT alas we no longer talk LOL :roll:

Please post ANY ideas I'm all for input from any of you.

Pics will be posted up soon of the mess I'm dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

OK peeps...

'l run you through a few pics. I will try and keep the post and gallery up to date BUT I do have a Land rover to get back to a rolling state so I can shift it and get the 1960 Beetle in and started :lol:

OK here she is the project plastics got trashed in my last crash.

Dent in Tank after the bar hit the road and bent into it. Not a pic for the faint hearted. This is what happens after 5 years of Road salt and about 150K Miles on the road. Yes I could cry. BUT I have a wacky Idea of stripping the inside out of the silencer fabricating something to fit inder the tail unit and using ther insides from them great SS2R exhausts.

Errr!!! Well I'm glad that stayed where it was..... I've been doing 90MPH down motorways with that Gulp!!!! :shock:

Ahh their is one of the absconders.

Engine after a bit of degrease long way to go though.

New Brakes!! Yummy

New Forks!!

Last edited by FizzerJE on Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:57 pm 

Wow, that sprocket is downright scary!!!

Hey I looked into the Fazer upper yoke a little more, I found this on a
Fazer forum

Quote:
picked up some Thundercat forks. They are not a straight swap for fazer ones as hoped. The issues are:

- Front wheel is offset by a few mm. This seems to be due to the speedo drive.

- Caliper mounts are too close together (across the bike). The Thundercat yokes must be spaced a bit further apart than the Fazer ones.

- The forks are about 50 mm longer than Fazer forks - great if you want to fit clip ons but normal bars would be in the way.

Now considering getting hold of thundercat yokes, front wheel spindle and spacer, and Thundercat clip ons to do a full front end swap. further issues might be:
- Are the steerer bearings the same?
- Will the lockstops and steering lock points match up?
- Will the clip ons hit the tank and or fairing?
- Can I re-use my front wheel (maybe using some spacers on the axle) or will I have to get a Thundercat front wheel too?
- Will I need to get a remote front resevoir for the front brake lever?

If anyone knows where these parts are for a good price let me know
Moddin' pimpin' ridin' & recently Scooter Luvin'

Anyway, I maybe spoke up too soon, sorry. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:46 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Nice info. Saves me a bit of time finding out, Thanks. No problem feel free to post any ideas I will always check it's possible myself first.

Like you say it was an option but I was thinking that I would probably go with aftermarket risers. Can pick them up fairly cheap ans I can play with the Bar position.

What are you painting your frame with I was thinking either Powder coat or paint, I am all for going the more DIY way with painting as powder coating over here is expensive. Their is only 1 guy that does it and he charges too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm 

Well this is what I just used, but it only comes in black. I don't know if you can get it in the UK; its just a spray in bedliner for a truck bed. Basically its a

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

I don't have much experiance with it, so it might not hold up very well, but it only cost $14 USD to do the frame and swingarm.

If you've got your heart set on powder coating you might consider something like this, a DIY powdercoating system,

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... itemID=458

But you'd need to get a UV lamp or large oven to cure something as big as the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:50 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Hello

Bear with me with the broken images in the post above.

Migrating my web site to another ISP and I am currently Upgrading (No should I say starting all over again) with a new instalation of gallery2 from gallery1.4.1

Will be a bumpy road but should get their soon.

Any way my swingarm arrived today. Came with shock and as a bonus the rear sub frame tooo. :lol:

That will make an R6 conversion easy it's nice in ally good for polishing and will only need a couple of mounting points weldingup to the frame.

Thanks for letting me know what you were doing with the paint diztroy. Probably going to paint as I will have to take ferry to France to get the powder coating done so can't be arsed for it.

Be using some POR15 products. I know people who have had alot of success with them, will have to see.

Any way just a quick (ish) note a bit busy with Land Rover and Gallery.

Ride safe peeps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:23 pm 

FizzerJE wrote:
Be using some POR15 products. I know people who have had alot of success with them, will have to see.

I had some really good luck with POR15 on my truck's frame and bumpers( http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/gallery2/mai ... itemId=299 ); its really held up well after 6 years. I just wanted to try something different on my yzf frame; it will be insteresting to see how time treats the "paint".

Good luck with the swingarm, take lots of pics!

Post subject: Re: Project FZR6R (UK)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:53 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

OK sorry about that...

Just updated my image links. All working now!

I am continuing the topic in my streetfigher build thread HERE