Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY 1995 YZF build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

So I figured I might as well make a thread specifically for my bike, rather than keep posting in my 'question' threads..
Basically..
Heres my 1995 YZF600 with ~23k on it. I just bought it this past november, 2011.

Here it is, stock, the day I bought It:

Removed the Bra - cleaned it up

So far, ive installed a D&D Show and go chrome exhaust, Factory Pro Stage 1 Jet kit, and a K&N air filter.

A few of my good friends I ride with are all running slightly newer, FI bikes (CBR600F3, R6, R1, CBR600F4i) so i've been looking to get a little more out of my YZF. I just ordered Dynatek dc 1-2 mini coils, Dynatek 8mm graphite core wires, NGK CR9EIX Iridium Spark Plugs, and an RK racing O-ring chain (blue) with a sprocket kit (14 tooth front) in a 520 kit.

Im not saying this will make the bike keep up with n R1.. but hopefully she will get better gas mileage and run smoother and more efficiently after these changes.

I have yet to do the Relay mod, but I think Ill probably end up doing that at the same time as the install of the Dynatek coils, as im getting sick of pulling the gas tank off. I have it down to under two minutes to pull the tank and airbox :buttrock:

Once the roads clear up ill hook up the Gopro cam and make some vids for you guys!

Post subject: Re: MY 1995 YZF build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 pm 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Looking forward to following your progress.

I'd like your opinion on before/after noticable with the coil relay mod. I have the parts to do it and was tempted to install the other day when I was doing my Spring, pre-ridding season oil change and inspection. But my bike is running great... and if it ain't broke...

:cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

I can do that Ripcuda, but I feel it won't be biased towards the relay mod as ill be installing the Dynatek coils, 8.8mm wires, and iridium plugs at the same time as the relay mod (getting sick of pulling the tank off, haha). I was thinking about opening the gap up on the plugs a little bit after the coils/relay/wires....thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

relay wasnt night and day difference for me. i think it was noticalbe in starting a little easier/quicker.

but also it really is only a 10min install. only limiting factor is how long it takes you to strip and crimp wires.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

I understand how to do it (electrical engineering degree), its just that I have pulled the tank off about 6 times in the past week for the jet kit to try different clip settings (2nd down from the top seems O.K.) and If I do it again I might as well wait until I have it off for the coils anyways. Like you said, its probably not night and day so im not rushing to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm 

lol, i can understand where you are comming from. but taking the tank on and off, is a minute job tops. there are times when you need to take the motor in and out a couple times, or i dont know how many times i have taken the clutch assembly off for other things.

I have no doubt in you ability and i do understnad the feeling of having to do it "one more time" but i think you are borderline making a mountain outta a mole hill on this one.

-Bpro

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:35 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Ill just wait. I work close to 70 hours a week (which is why Im always posting at 11pm, haha!) so yes a minute pulling the tank off and hooking it up, plus I have a few projects going with re-finishing some shotgun stocks, lowering my 83 chevy, building a utility trailer, plus a GF, so I usually try to plan certain days off / times for different projects, so ill just wait until it gets a little warmer because I still need to fine tune and sync the carbs anyways. Ill post up when I get it done!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Lid came in today!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

So I got out in the garage and did the relay mod, but I havn't ridden it so I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

My NGK CR9EIX iridium plugs came in. Installed them tonight, seems to start faster and have a little better throttle response.

And I ended up installing an LED license plate light. I went to VIP and found a (8?) led light that is meant to be used for dome lights, etc,. therefor, it came with adapters to plug it right in to the light sockets, one of which I noticed was the same as the plug for the bulbs on the license plate light (I was going to put LED's in as replacements, but this thing was way brighter). Basically I pulled the assembly apart for the plate light (PITA!), pulled out the incandescent bulbs, installed the socket adapter, and then peeled off the backing for the double sided tape stuck on the back of the LED's. stuck it on to the rubber boots for the stock bulbs, and slid the assembly back together carefully. It took a little bit to get it together how I wanted it, but the end result is amazing. Now I just need to trim down that rear fender!! Heres some pics.

The led light I used:

This shows the adapter that comes with the led kit, it plugs right in to the OEM bulb socket. I stuck the led's on both of those white rubber sockets, it obviously wasn't the best hold from the tape because the boots tilt towards each other, but the light ended up getting held in tight by the plastic assembly. LED's (especially on 12v) don't create any heat, so im not worried about any heat issues.

LED in the light fixture. And yes, im double jointed.

Final Result:

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 am 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Good idea on the license plate light. Now you'll be able to see like a champ when you're backing up! :mrgreen:

And I like the back-drop in your helmet pic. :biggun:
It's about time I look into replacing my older HJC CL-15 lid.

Keep the progress coming!

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:37 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Its funny you say that, it does light up behind me pretty well also. Hopefully one the plate is on it won't be enough light on the ground for the cops to call it "underglow" haha. Yeah thats my plinker behind the helmet, S+W m&p 15-22. I keep the big boys in the gun cabinet :evil:

Thinking about doing an all blue ( newer r6 blue ) paintjob done at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Nice bike,very clean. Dont do braded brake lines on the front untill you get a set of R1 gold spot monoblocks (2002-2003) and the R1 master.
I do the relay mod to all of our bikes. Ignition coils seem to like full battery voltage. It is very easy to damage iridium plugs when changing the gap so I'd leave them at the factory setting.
Your jetting will change as the K&N gets a few miles on it. You may need to richen things up a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:43 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Thanks! The seller of the plugs actually sent me a note saying not to gap the plugs. Im okay with that.
I wasn't planning on doing any mods with the brakes, they seem to work well, but thanks for the info, if I decide I do want to do something with them that will help.

Ive noticed that it is starting to break in a little. I ran it for a while the other day after changing the oil and then road it around in about 35 - 40 degree weather. It seemed very boggy in the low end and it was annoying / hard to get going. I wonder if that's because it'a cold outside, but probably not. I'm thinking I'll have to play with the carbs some more.

Does anyone know what the deal with the washers is that comes with factory pro's jet kit? I used 1 washer below the clip and 2 washers above the clip, with the clip in the 2nd from top setting. This is how I interpreted the instructions as a base line. Set my a/f screws 2.5 screw out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 pm 

they are shims for the needles. to fine tune if your between spaces with the clips

-Bpro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:45 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Alrighty, I figured as much.