Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camshaft Cap Blunder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

Hey guys. I am currently rebuilding the cylinder head on my 95 yzf600r and have ran into a bit of trouble. I foolishly snapped the right intake camshaft cap while putting things back togeter. It was poorly lit where I was working and I didn't notice that one of the dowel pins did not seat correctly into the head and the stress caused from this offset caused the cap to snap. I have read online that caps from other motors need to be line bored to match your head as they are matched machined from the factory. Also, these caps seem to be somewhat hard to find. If anyone has any information or advice for me on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Camshaft Cap Blunder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 pm 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Yes, the bearing caps are match machined. If this was my problem, I would remove the haed, remove the intake valves, install the cam and caps and spin the cam. If it still spins without binding you should be good. The webs between the bearings are not that important. I would not remove the webs, just leave them inplace. You will need to tighten the cap bolts one turn at a time.
If the intake cam does not turn freely, you will need to find an undamaged head.

Good Luck,
Jon