Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:26 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

So I recently aquired, as stated, a 96 YZF 600. I've owned a few sportbikes before, 00 GSXR 600, 05 SV650 and 99 ZX6R, also a 82 KZ 750. The SV was my last bike. It was then I realized that I liked naked bikes. Started lookin around the good ol' www and found out about fighters...I found my niche. But I wasn't a fan of the SV, didn't like the factory naked styling. So I found this bike. I started taking it apart, cleaning checking things out. Got the front fairings and stay off, and decided this was the bike. And Before I go any farther :nopics: I know I know...I only have my cell camera right now, and I'm having problems with the sizing of them, some are tiny some are huge...W/e My thread in noobie central(??) has a couple pics from when I first got it.....Also I don't have much experience working on bikes, other than routine maintence(oil,fluids,etc.) Sooo there will be many many ?'s here... So right now I'm gettin ready to fight for the title....sucks...so I'm not doing any major work right now so I don't have any problems with the inspection(whenever that ends up being).

So everything looked to be in order for the most part...Couple cracks in plastics here and there,front seat was torn up but the foam was good rear seat was not horrible...Needs left turn signal and a gas cap...rear tire needed changed, came with a new one.. Started and ran rough, but you could tell it wanted to run strong. So I got right into it. Pulled the plastics first, dirty but no real problems. Pulled the seats and rewrapped the front with the cover from a seat I had sittin around. Wasn't bad for my first time. One problem though, there is a kinda bad spot on the right side by the back. Pulled the tank to check the air filter......It was filled with burrs, the things that stick to your clothes in the woods....Yeah PO really took good care of it....Cleaned it up and pulled the air box to check the carbs, expecting the worst. They were actually in really good shape. Dirty outside but really smooth and clean inside. Cleaned it all up, changed the oil and put it back together. Charged the batt. and started it up...Like I thought it is a strong runner. Purrs real nice but needs a new exhaust. So then I threw it on the stand and pulled the rear tire to change it....The sprocket fell part way out. I took it out the rest of the way and there is a cush drive damper missing....??... So thats where I'm at now...Looking for a new damper...Does anyone know what kind of dampers will fit off the top of thier heads.... This is gonna be a slllooowww build, but I'll update whenever I can..Pic later tonight promise

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Cant wait to see pics, my yzf has made an awsome fighter. Very fun bike to ride, so much so that my '06 Z 1000 gets alot of much needed rest.

"Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." Alfred Pennyworth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

forget about us?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 am 
banana hammock expert

as for the cush drive things, check what websites want for it OEM, otherwise you will find someone on ebay selling them, I think all years (95-07) should fit.