Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:07 pm 
where's that ban button...... :lol: :lol: :roll:

Thanks for the info and response; I really appreciate you answering every question!

I had some 5000mcd red LED's on another project and those would hurt your eyes if you looked directly at them!! I wanted to use them on my taillight for my fighter, but I didn't have enough so I used some 500mcd lights; I have ~100 in the housing so they're bright enough.

It looks like your viewing angle could be widerer, but considering your reflecting the light off the tape anyway it probably won't matter, but I don't have any experiance with it, I'm just guessing.

I'll keep my mouth shut until you get the finished product pictures posted!

Good day,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

diztroy wrote:

:lol: LOL! I was trying to do the same thing - that's why I held on to the pics for so long!

I'm hoping I don't light this fire-cracker only to hear 'phhhtt'. :???:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

Ok, so I kind-of took Vash' advice & blew off a couple of things this weekend (the ride to AL; but NOT the gig on Sunday night - awesome!) and finished up my taillgiht swap.

Last thing I'd mentioned was that I was cutting a 'gasket' kind of setup out of a 'foamy' from Wal-mart.

These things are awesome for stuff like this; they come in sheets that cost like a buck each, can be cut into any shape you like; can be glued, taped, stapled - and if needed, siliconed.

I've made speaker surrounds with these, and even when I was into the 4-wheelers, made waterproof covers for electricals.

So anyway - I laid out the foam sheet, traced my new plate, and cut slightly larger with a pair of scissors.

The rough look on the back of the plate is a double-face mylar tape by 3M; it's got some really good adhesion properties & seemed a lot neater than glue on this part.

After I put the two together, I finished off the edges with an x-acto knife and left the area around the holes just a bit larger to cover any imperfections.

Outside of this just being a sort of gasket, is that the back of our bikes are not entirely flat - the center where the two halves come together forms a bit of a ridge - not much, just enough to notice. This will actually take care of that by giving a backing that will give over the ridged area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

After getting all this together; I was finally able to see what she looked like on the bike - I like it.

To me, the look from the back is so much cleaner; and really updates the styling.

I'm going to replace the bolts soon with something a little less noticable, most likely some button-head hex bolts with a couple of shots of matte-clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:22 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

There's kind-of a eleventh commandment of sorts in most of the forums I've been a member of (especially Corner-Carvers!!! :shock: )

It reads something like this:

If thou posteth information which doesn't work - thou shalt be flamed!

This was my first thought when I hooked up the LED's Friday night and got a look at them this weekend:

diztroy wrote:
It looks like your viewing angle could be widerer, but considering your reflecting the light off the tape anyway it probably won't matter, but I don't have any experiance with it, I'm just guessing.

Good day,

You made a good call diz; they just were't bright enough for my likings; you could see them, but it just didn't look as if it would be bright enough to ensure the crazed idiot behind you would know you were planning an exit / lane-change in the very near future.

So after much frustration - I hit the internet for options. I had looked into a kit called an turn signal assimilator. Supposedly it takes your tailight bulbs and converts them to work as run/brake/turns.

I found several of these type kits on the market - ranging anywhere from $45 - $80!

Well; I'm too cheap for that!

Another article I found was a guy that had used a 5 - 4 wire converter for a trailer to setup his turn signals like this...

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it just might work. To double-check, I went & looked at my own trailer to compare & sure enough, it all seemed to check out.

So off to the auto parts store I went...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:36 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

This is a pic of the converter setup

It's really a pretty simple device; on one side you have:
- left turn
- right turn
- brake
- tail
- ground

And on the other you have:
- left turn
- right turn
- brake
- ground

The wires from each end were long enough to run back up under the front seat & the unit was small enough not to be obtrusive.

After getting things wired in, here's a pic of the blinks:

And here's a pic of the brake on / blink off:

One thing to note - these pics are with the LED's not even hooked up; so they can be brighter; I was just in a rush and didn't plug em' in.

For anyone who might be interested, here's my 'non-technical' wiring diagram for the hook-up.

The colors for the bulbs are accurate; and I have not put the colors on the 'input' side as they are pretty self-explanitory.

**One other note on edit - removing the turn signals completely would make the blinks much quicker during the 'brake-off' times; so to keep things constant, I (for now) left them wired-in. I did black-tape them & temporarily mounted them behind the rear fender until I can get some resistors to put in thier place.**

I'll be taking them out as soon as possible - don't need any excess weight now do we?!? :lol:

Have a blast,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:20 pm 
where's that ban button...... :lol: :lol: :roll:

Thats pretty neat! Interesting use of the trailer harness. Too bad about LEDs. I wonder what effected them the most, the viewing angle off or the color missmatch with the lense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:34 pm 
Elementary OldSkooler

Well, I have a theory, but I'm not sure it's the cause, but it does make the most sense... you may remember this picture of the LEDs I ordered from a supplier on ebay:

If you'll notice (on the shorter wire versions) there is a resistor that has been added into the wiring.

I think this is limiting the amout of power running through the light itself by to much.

I may go back later & try to remove / replace them, starting with one, but I'd say it would be almost more trouble than it's worth as I may not be able to get them wired back correctly.

It is pretty interesting on the yellow color with the lens - when you put the two together, it was a near perfect amber - just not bright! :evil:

Oh well, maybe I'll just add more later. :D

See ya,
Jeff

Last edited by Hyper on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:48 am 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

so wait, how does it work now? for signal just one side flashes and the other is constant??

perhaps a video or night shot?

i like the look though. i might have to copy you sometime. but now ive got other priorities, lol.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:57 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

vashtsdaytona2 wrote:
so wait, how does it work now? for signal just one side flashes and the other is constant??

perhaps a video or night shot?

i like the look though. i might have to copy you sometime. but now ive got other priorities, lol.

Yep, it's working for now - I have noticed it confuses some cagers as it isn't expected right off the bat - but if you can give a little notice they catch on pretty well.

The video idea is a good one! I was suprised how stinkin' hard it was to catch the 'blinks' with a camera! :shock:

One side does hold constant & the other flashes - I'm going to be doing some work on her this weekend since we've got labor day off (woo-hoo!) including getting my rat's-nest of wires organized, get the LED's hooked back up, chop the fender a bit more, make a new tag mount to set the tag back in, and swap out the front tire... so hopefully I'll have at least a few more pics, but will have to 'aquire' something for a video... :cry:

See ya,
Jeff

**Edit** Vash, on the copy, go for it! That's what we're here for, to give each other ideas & help these great bikes become even better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

i cant belive you were trying to catch blinks on camera. lol :shock: :D

not trying to insult but i want to thank you for the chuckle. im in need of laughter these days

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:14 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

LOL - I think that should have been the video!

Thank God for digital camera's - I couldn't tell you how many I deleted!! :lol:

Post subject: Labor day 07'
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

So why is it that you always seem to work harder during your time off than any other time of the year?!?

For me, it all started Wednesday night before the Labor Day weekend.

My front tire had been in need of replacement for a couple of weeks & a buddy had graciously given me a second front wheel with a pretty good tire mounted - since I wouldn't be able to ride Thursday (carrying my music gear in the cage), and was off Friday, I decided to take the front off and get that squared away.

When I went to pick up the re-mounted tire & rim Thursday, I was told my bearings were shot - this wasn't too big of a deal as I had another set at home, but was hoping to save them for when the wheels were powder-coated later on... dang....

Anyway, here's a quick pic after I replaced the bearings, but before balancing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:30 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

One of the things I had been wanting to do was move my tag inward - but this was only after I had chopped my fender a bit more.

After removing the front wheel, I had a little time to kill & plans to chop the fender later on, so I worked on the tag mount a bit.

I started off with a piece of aluminum flashing left over from when I'd shingled our house.

This was really a simple deal; first I took my snips and cut to the width of the tag & held next to the fender to see where to cut next - what I came up with was to cut a line down the center to form to the contour of the fender, drilled a couple-o-holes & wa-lah - tag mount. Here's a rough idea of the cuts:

And this pic shows how it was mounted up - FYI, I did remove all the electricals out of the way before drilling these :lol:

Post subject: Fender elimination
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:46 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

Friday, I spent most of the day working on the bike in different areas - first off, I started something I wanted to do for some time.

You can see in this pic how I'd cut the fender back a bit before to save the trunk as much as possible:

But after looking things over, I decided if I cut off the 'wire trough' in the back of the fender, and moved the lock, I really wouldn't be taking off that much....

So I started off with the outer fender in place, and marking just at the bottom with masking tape - then removed the outer so that it would leave a clearly marked line to cut.

Then I went to town with the Dremel and a good cut-off wheel.

Here's the amount I cut off - you can see that, really, I didn't lose that much square area.

And here's a couple of pics of where the fender was cut:

:lol: LOL! This is always the point where I think - man... I hope I can make this work!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next