Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:35 am 
Undead . Restraint, never had it, never will

Nathan, are you folks on Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Vash lives up in the great white north (adjacent). You ever heard of Fargo? That's where everyone goes crazy from the cold (there are even movies and TV mini series about his home town, dontcha know...)

"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog! And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" My Hero.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:44 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

We're on Celsius dude n no I don't believe I have heard of Fargo although 5 mins on Google showed me where your talking about.

As for progress, today I fitted the radiator and bought some oil although I got stumped again as its so cold I can't get enough flex in the carb rubbers to fit the carbs back on the bike.

Going to steal the mrs hair dryer tomorrow and see if I can soften them up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:59 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

IT LIVES!!!! :buttrock: slight oil leak and slight fuel leak to start with but fired up 3rd crank and ticked over without choke after a minute so very happy so far.

Everything seems ok, timing doesn't look to be an issue with the other flywheel although it wouldn't rev right out but I think that's because the air box was still off.

Brake pads and fairing bolts to order then it's time to book an mot and see what's what!

Hopefully this sketchy Frankenstein bike will be proof you CAN run the thundercat engine with fzr parts succsessfully!

Not sure if I'm the 1st to try this but it's good to know it should work (so far so good).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 am 
Elementary OldSkooler

There is a 4th person here. Me from the deep south US in Louisiana. Welcome aboard !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

Keep updates coming I read all

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

I've been in the basement a few times

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3408

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:03 am 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Welcome Nathan, I only pop in occasionally (my bad) as you said a great resource here.Good work on your swap outs. Those clips do look familiar, are they front indicator backing plates?? Not sure but I have seen them somewhere. Its funny when I got my bike there was a plastic moulding loose under the seat, to this day I have not found where it goes. I should post a piccie one day(if I can find it) Went to the WSB round at Phillip Island last week some awesome racing and nothing between the top 8 bikes going to be a great season. Hayden just missed podium in 2nd race.By the way my Yam is still going great just about to click over 70,000kms I think the clutch will need doing soon though.

YZF600R G
Mini Moke California 81

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 am 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

well its been well over a year since i stuck a thundercat engine in my fzr and im happy to report shes still going strong! I havent managed to get out on her as much this year as work takes up a lot of my time but on the right day when the suns shining and i fancy going out for a cruise shes still a gem. Unfortunately i decided to stick my bike up on paddock stands whilst its not being ridden and came to ride it the other day only to discover a small patch of oil under one of my forks :shock: turns out i let my mate do my forks last time the seals went and apparently he had a bit of a job getting the damper inside to stay still whilst putting the damper bolt back in the bottom of the fork....well if you want something done right lol.

so ive now taken my forks apart and have come up against the same problem even after trying the broom handle/bit of bar pushing against the damper to put enough friction on it to have something to tighten against and have resorted to heating and cooling a new copper washer to soften it and using a 10v dewalt impact gun to shock the bolt up tight.

has anyone tried doing it this way and did anyone have any success or does anyone have any different methods to try if this fails me as well?

cheers guys its been a while but hopefully the oldskoolers are still lurking on here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm 

So it's an fzr fork? What year? No way to use a holder tool? Had 3/4 square tube works

-Bpro

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

Mines a 1995 UK spec FZR600R 4JH fox eye

Basically 1995 yzf600 badged as an fzr although i think my forks are from a year before as they dont have the nice blue adjusters on top just standard adjusters...it seems all good now anyways the reason i noticed the leak the first place was that it was sat on paddock stands so the forks were slightly compressed.

With one apart i decided i might as well do them both for piece of mind so ordered new seals, oil and washers and got on with it.

I found that one fork seemed tight enough inside to grip the bolt without needing to be compressed etc but the other one just span. In the end i heated the copper washers up cooled them quickly in water so they were still soft and then hit the bolt that was spinning inside the fork with a quick burst on the rattle gun and it quickly gripped enough to tighten up.

All back together now anyway and on the paddock stands not leaking so so far so good, i had to go and get some fuel to fire it up and was amazed the battery had so much power left in it after being sat for a good month or so. Took me at least 30 seconds of starter on and off to get the fuel around and pick up a cylinder or 2 then it spluttered a bit picked up cylinder number 3 ran for about a minute then died haha.

Hopefully take it out tomorrow after work if the weathers not shit and see if shes all good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 pm 

let us know

-Bpro