Oldskoolyzf

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:24 pm 
The weather finally picked up enough for me to contemplate collecting my bike from it's resting place. A beautiful fully carpeted, central heated garage at my parents house. A garage that has seen the construction of 3 drag bikes, 2 competitive moto X bikes and numerous other little projects including my 400 four streetfighter, a crazy GT250 and assorted DT's and Aprilia rebuilds. I digress, after much nail chewing and rabbiting on about my wheels been miles away the weather report said "NO RAIN!!!!" so i packed myself and the good lady "Zilla"
On to a train for the 2 hour journey to the midlands of England (Parents near manchester, Me in good old London town) where we would collect the bike and some fine food and ales before venturing back to the big smoke.
This was to be the good lady's first "proper" bike ride so in time honoured tradition i went through the ruck sack that she had packed and threw out the 3 spare outfits, the eyelash curler things that look to me like some sort of medieval torture device, the special shampoo, the clean underwear and all other non-essential items. Under the logic that a little moaning now would be better than the world of earache that i would get after she had spent some time carrying the bag on the rather hard YZF pillion seat. This done we headed off and spent a couple of days with my parents. I fitted the new sprockets and chain, an inline fuel filter, a massive alarm and did some serious polishing and a few tweaks in preperation for the next few months away from base camp.
This done and my parents fridge heartily raped we set off on a bright sunny morning (with newly purchased tank bag, the tiny amount of stuff we left London with had magically doubled in size and weight and ended up weighing more than Lady Zilla who is only 5 foot tall and weighs about the same as a damp tea towel)
So we headed off onto a rather busy motorway, the first miles flew past and as the 750 goes through petrol like it was just setting the stuff on fire we pulled in at a convienient service station to fill up and drink some coffee. The sun warm on the back of my new shaven neck, all was lovely. Then came the invisible road works. After a mile or two the motorway dropped down to 40mph with average speed cameras (Where they mark your time over a set distance and then fine you by mail if you are going to fast) so the traffic slowed to an average speed of....err....walking pace and we walked through Birmingham around an hour and a half wasted and a red hot engine. For what reason this speed limit and traffic, None! at least none that i could see. Still this cleared up and we set off with a vengance sitting at around 120-130mph for 15 or so miles. Nice. Then more light traffic and it was time to stop for more fuel and a much needed pee. Once more upon leaving the services we hit road works, this time real ones so we slowed down and pootled some more before beginning the entrance to London's famous M25. Heavy traffic, poor road signs and a very nearly missed junction where all over come with ease. Visitors to London beware the M25 motorway has Gatso's on it so the traffic zooms forward before everyone slams the brakes on for the cameras and then lurches off again once they are passed. This can lead to some interesting moments if you don't leave enough of a gap between you and the guy infront.
We finally arrived at my mates farm just north of London some 5 and a half hours later just as the temperature plummeted. Just in time for fish and chips and a few well deserved pints of hand pull bitter beer.
The following day i dropped the young lady back in London before heading out for a play in the traffic.
But that as they say is another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:29 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

The above is a post from me who like a numpty forgot to sign in. DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am 
Official Evil Monkey

:-) That sounded like a fun trip! How fair are the road ways on the island? As far as pot holes and tar snakes looking to slip you up.

Click the pic for my lake ride video!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 pm 
Bill picks on me, i kiss his *cus-word*. the big wheels keep on turning

good read, must be nice to be riding a bike about now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:52 pm 
Brand Spankin' NewBie

The roads here are as variable as everywhere else i guess. We've got some nice bits of motorway and some great windey back roads although with the back roads most have trees and hedges so you don't get much visibility beyond the corners and almost all the corners get tighter on the exit :shock:
We do have one bit of dual carriage way called the A50 which runs from my parents house (Stoke-on-trent) to Leicestershire Approx 60miles and it's brilliant. Virtually no police, no gatsos and it's nearly straight. the only bit of 200mph road i can think of :twisted: you can sit on the stop for as long as you dare. it has been voted the bumpiest road in the uk but that is because of a concrete section which is lumpy as you hit the joins.

The roads in London are appalling though, tire sized potholes and more trenches than Belgium in 1916. I think this is why everyone in London drives a 4x4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:43 pm 
Official Evil Monkey

Godzilla wrote:
I think this is why everyone in London drives a 4x4.

I didn't know Mini's were 4x4's... :P

Click the pic for my lake ride video!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:07 am 
OldSkooler with a G.E.D.

Nice story. In my travels I have been to London, I found the road system there a nightmare. Yet, I saw every motorcycle lane split to the front of line for the street light and then take off. That must be the shizat. Most of them were package messengers.

I've also watched most every Top Gear episode so some of the freeways you listed are familiar. :)

Now, perhaps you can clarify. When I lived in Germany they had the hidden speed cameras too. Yet motorcycles couldn't get tickets from them because they only took pictures from the front. No plate in the front no ticket. Is it the same?